[openstack-dev] [qa][tempest-plugins][release][tc][ptl]: Coordinated Release Model proposal for Tempest & Tempest Plugins

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Jun 28 16:49:49 UTC 2018

Excerpts from Dmitry Tantsur's message of 2018-06-28 17:05:09 +0200:
> On 06/27/2018 03:17 AM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> > Users (Not Gate) will face below issues:
> > - User cannot use PluginNR with Tempest <19.0.0 (where that new interface was not present). And there is no PluginNR release/tag as this is unreleased and not branched software.
> > - User cannot find a PluginIR particular tag/release which can work with tempest <19.0.0 (where that new interface was not present). Only way for user to make it work is to manually find out the PluginIR tag/commit before PluginIR started consuming the new interface.
>
> In these discussions I always think: how is it solved outside of the openstack
> world. And the solutions seem to be:
> 1. for PluginNR - do releases
> 2. for PluginIR - declare their minimum version of tempest in requirements.txt
>
> Why isn't it sufficient for us?

It is. We just haven't been doing it; in part I think because most
developers interact with the plugins via the CI system and don't realize
they are also "libraries" that need to be released so that refstack
users can install them.

Doug