[openstack-dev] [qa][tempest-plugins][release][tc][ptl]: Coordinated Release Model proposal for Tempest & Tempest Plugins

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Wed Jun 27 19:08:35 UTC 2018

> There is no issue of backward incompatibility from Tempest and on Gate. GATE
> is always good as it is going with mater version or minimum supported version
> in plugins as you mentioned. We take care of all these things you mentioned
> which is our main goal also.
>
> But If we think from Cloud tester perspective where they use older version of
> tempest for particular OpenStack release but there is no corresponding
> tag/version from plugins to use them for that OpenStack release.
>
> Idea is here to have a tag from Plugins also like Tempest does currently for
> each OpenStack release so that user can pickup those tag and test their
> Complete Cloud.

Thanks for the further explanation Ghanshyam. So it's not so much that newer
versions of tempest may break the current repo plugins, it's more to the fact
that any random plugin that gets pulled in has no way of knowing if it can take
advantage of a potentially older version of tempest that had not yet introduced
something the plugin is relying on.

I think it makes sense for the tempest plugins to be following the
cycle-with-intermediary model. This would allow plugins to be released at any
point during a given cycle and would then have a way to match up a "release" of
the plugin.

Release repo deliverable placeholders are being proposed for all the tempest
plugin repos we could find. Thanks to Doug for pulling this all together:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/578141/

Please comment there if you see any issues.

Sean