[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] TC Report 18-26

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jun 27 12:26:05 UTC 2018

Jay Pipes wrote:
> [...]
> I've also argued in the past that all distro- or vendor-specific
> deployment tools (Fuel, Triple-O, etc [3]) should live outside of
> OpenStack because these projects are more products and the relentless
> drive of vendor product management (rightfully) pushes the scope of
> these applications to gobble up more and more feature space that may or
> may not have anything to do with the core OpenStack mission (and have
> more to do with those companies' product roadmap).

I totally agree on the need to distinguish between
OpenStack-the-main-product (the set of user-facing API services that one
assembles to build an infrastructure provider) and the tooling that
helps deploy it. The map[1] that was produced last year draws that line
by placing deployment and lifecycle management tooling into a separate
bucket.

I'm not sure of the value of preventing those interested in openly
collaborating around packaging solutions from doing it as a part of
OpenStack-the-community. As long as there is potential for open
collaboration I think we should encourage it, as long as we make it
clear where the "main product" (that deployment tooling helps deploying) is.

> On the other hand, my statement that the OpenStack Foundation having 4
> different focus areas leads to a lack of, well, focus, is a general
> statement on the OpenStack *Foundation* simultaneously expanding its
> sphere of influence while at the same time losing sight of OpenStack
> itself

I understand that fear -- however it's not really a zero-sum game. In
all of those "focus areas", OpenStack is a piece of the puzzle, so it's
still very central to everything we do.

> -- and thus the push to create an Open Infrastructure Foundation
> that would be able to compete with the larger mission of the Linux
> Foundation.

As I explained in a talk in Vancouver[2], the strategic evolution of the
Foundation is more the result of a number of parallel discussions
happening in 2017 that pointed toward a similar need for a change:
moving the discussions from being product-oriented to being
goal-oriented, and no longer be stuck in a "everything we produce must
be called OpenStack" box. It's more the result of our community's
evolving needs than the need to "compete".

[1] http://openstack.org/openstack-map
[2]
https://www.openstack.org/summit/vancouver-2018/summit-schedule/events/20968/beyond-datacenter-cloud-the-future-of-the-openstack-foundation

--