[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] TC Report 18-26

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue Jun 26 21:12:02 UTC 2018

On 26/06/18 09:12, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 06/26/2018 08:41 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
>> Meanwhile, to continue [last week's theme](/tc-report-18-25.html),
>> the TC's role as listener, mediator, and influencer lacks
>> definition.
>>
>> Zane wrote up a blog post explaining the various ways in which the
>> OpenStack Foundation is
>> [expanding](https://www.zerobanana.com/archive/2018/06/14#osf-expansion).
>
> One has to wonder with 4 "focus areas" for the OpenStack Foundation [1]
> whether there is any actual expectation that there will be any focus at
> all any more.
>
> Are CI/CD and secure containers important? [2] Yes, absolutely.
>
> Is (one of) the problem(s) with our community that we have too small of
> a scope/footprint? No. Not in the slightest.
>
> IMHO, what we need is focus. And having 4 different focus areas doesn't
> help focus things.

One of the upshots of this change is that when discussing stuff we now
need to be more explicit about who 'we' are.

We, the OpenStack project, will have less stuff to focus on as a result
of this change (no Zuul, for example, and if that doesn't make you happy
then perhaps no 'edge' stuff will ;).

We, the OpenStack Foundation, will unquestionably have more stuff.

> I keep waiting for people to say "no, that isn't part of our scope". But
> all I see is people saying "yes, we will expand our scope to these new
> sets of things

Arguably we're saying both of these things, but for different
definitions of 'our'.

> (otherwise *gasp* the Linux Foundation will gobble up all
> the hype)".

I could also speculate on what the board was hoping to achieve when it
made this move, but it would be much better if they were to communicate
that clearly to the membership themselves. One thing we did at the joint
leadership meeting was essentially brainstorming for a new mission
statement for the Foundation, and this very much seemed like a post-hoc
exercise - we (the Foundation) are operating outside the current mission
of record, but nobody has yet articulated what our new mission is.

> Just my two cents and sorry for being opinionated,

Hey, feel free to complain to the TC on openstack-dev any time. But also
be aware that if you actually want anything to happen, you also need to
complain to your Individual Directors of the Foundation and/or on the
foundation list.

cheers,
Zane.