[openstack-dev] [heat][heat-translator][tacker] Need new release of heat-translator library

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Thu Jun 21 19:38:50 UTC 2018

On 20/06/18 18:59, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> According to
> https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/projects/heat.html  the
> Heat PTL*is*  the PTL for heat-translators. Any internal team structure
> that implies otherwise is just that, an internal team structure.

Yes, correct.

> I'm really unclear on what the problem is here.

 From my perspective (wearing my Heat hat), the problem is that the
official team structure no longer represents reality. The folks who were
working on both heat and heat-translator are long gone. Bob is
responsive to direct email, but heat-translator is effectively in
maintenance mode at best.

A few weeks back I made the mistake of reviewing a patch (Gerrit
confirms that it was literally the first patch I have ever reviewed in
heat-translator) to update the docs PTI since (a) I know a bit about
that, and (b) I technically have +2 rights. Immediately people started
pinging me every day for reviews and adding stuff to my review queue,
some of which was labelled 'trivial' right there in the patch headline,
until I asked them to knock it off. That's how much demand there is for
maintainers.

Apparently heat-translator has a healthy ecosystem of contributors and
users, but not of maintainers, and it remaining a deliverable of the
Heat project is doing nothing to alleviate the latter problem. I'd like
to find it a home that _would_ help.

cheers,
Zane.