[openstack-dev] [tripleo] [barbican] [tc] key store in base services

Adam Harwell flux.adam at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 21:59:30 UTC 2018

Looks like I missed this so I'm late to the party, but:

Ade is technically correct, Octavia doesn't explicitly depend on Barbican,
as we do support castellan generically.

*HOWEVER*: we don't just store and retrieve our own secrets -- we rely on
if we use castellan, we still need some way for users to interact with the
secret store via an API, and what that means in openstack in still
Barbican. So I would still say that Barbican is a dependency for us
logistically, if not technically.

For example, internally at GoDaddy we were investigating deploying Vault
with a custom user-facing API/UI for allowing users to store secrets that
could be consumed by Octavia with castellan (don't get me started on how
dumb that is, but it's what we were investigating).
The correct way to do this in an openstack environment is the openstack
secret store API, which is Barbican. So, while I am personally dealing with
an example of very painfully avoiding Barbican (which may have been a
non-issue if Barbican were a base service), I have a tough time reconciling
not including Barbican itself as a requirement.

   --Adam (rm_work)