[openstack-dev] [openstackclient][openstacksdk] why does openstackclient rely on openstacksdk for get a network client

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Jun 20 16:51:46 UTC 2018

On 06/20/2018 10:23 AM, Dean Troyer wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 9:42 PM, zijian1012 at 163.com <zijian1012 at 163.com> wrote:
>> Thks for replying, just want to confirm, you mentioned "We have intended to
>> migrate everything to use
>> OpenStackSDK", the current use of python-*client is:
>> 1. OSC
>> 2. all services that need to interact with other services (e.g.:  nova
>> libraries: self.volume_api = volume_api or cinder.API())
>> Do you mean that both of the above will be migrated to use the OpenStack
>> SDK?
>
> I am only directly speaking for OSC.  Initially we did not think that
> services using the SDK would be feasible, Monty has taken it to a
> place where that should now be a possibility.  I am willing to find
> out that doing so is a good idea. :)

Yes, I think this is a good idea to explore - but I also think we should
be conservative with the effort. There are things we'll need to learn
about and improve.

We're VERY close to time for making the push to get OSC converted (we
need to finish one more patch for version discovery / microversion
support first - and I'd really like to get an answer for the
Resource/munch/shade interaction in - but that's honestly realistically
like 2 or maybe 3 patches, even though they will be 2 or 3 complex patches.

I started working a bit on osc-lib patches - I'll try to get those
pushed up soon.

Monty