[openstack-dev] [puppet-openstack][announce][debian] puppet-openstack now has full Debian support

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Jun 20 14:23:26 UTC 2018

Dear Stackers,

I am glad/overjoyed/jazzed to announce the global availability of
puppet-openstack for Debian. Indeed, a few minutes ago, the CI turned
all green for Debian:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/576416

(note: the red one for CentOS is to be ignored, it looks like
non-deterministic error)

This is after 3 months of hard work, and more than 50 patches, sometimes
on upstream code base (for example in Cinder, Sahara, and Neutron),
often because of Python 3 or uwsgi/mod_wsgi related problems. Some of
these patches aren't merged yet upstream, but are included in the Debian
packages already. Also note that Debian fully supports SSL and ipv6
endpoints.

I'd like here to publicly thanks all of the puppet-openstack core
reviewers for their help and enthusiasm. A big thanks to mnaser,
tobasco, EmilienM and mwhahaha. Guys, you've been really awesome and
helpful with me. Also a big thanks to these upstream helping with fixing
these bits as explained above, and especially annp for fixing the
neutron-rpc-server related problems, with the patch also pending reviews
at: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/555608/

All of these puppet modules are available directly in Debian in a
packaged form. To get them, simply do:

apt-get install openstack-puppet-modules

in Debian Sid, or using the Debian backports repository at:

http://stretch-queens.infomaniak.ch/debian

Still to fix, is neutron-fwaas, which seems to not like either Python 3
or using neutron-api over uwsgi (I'm not sure which of these yet).
Upstream neutron developers are currently investigating this. For this
reason, neutron firewall extension is currently disabled for the
l3-agent, but will be reactivated as soon as a proper fix is found.

Also, Ceph in Debian is currently a way behind (so we have to use
upstream Debian repository for Stretch), as it lacks a proper Python 3
support, and still no Luminous release uploaded to Sid. I intend to
attempt to fix this, to get a chance to get this in time for Buster.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)