[openstack-dev] minimum libvirt version for nova-compute

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Jun 20 09:23:24 UTC 2018

Hi,

Trying to get puppet-openstack to validate with Debian, I got surprised
that mounting encrypted volume didn't work for me, here's the stack dump
with libvirt 3.0.0 from Debian Stretch:

   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/nova/virt/libvirt/driver.py",
line 1463, in attach_volume
     guest.attach_device(conf, persistent=True, live=live)
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/nova/virt/libvirt/guest.py",
line 303, in attach_device
     self._domain.attachDeviceFlags(device_xml, flags=flags)
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/eventlet/tpool.py", line 186, in
doit
     result = proxy_call(self._autowrap, f, *args, **kwargs)
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/eventlet/tpool.py", line 144, in
proxy_call
     rv = execute(f, *args, **kwargs)
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/eventlet/tpool.py", line 125, in
execute
     six.reraise(c, e, tb)
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/eventlet/support/six.py", line
625, in reraise
     raise value
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/eventlet/tpool.py", line 83, in
tworker
     rv = meth(*args, **kwargs)
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/libvirt.py", line 585, in
attachDeviceFlags
     if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainAttachDeviceFlags()
failed', dom=self)
 libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: unable to execute QEMU command
'object-add': Incorrect number of padding bytes (57) found on decrypted data

After switching to libvirt 4.3.0 (my own backport from Debian Testing),
it does work. So, while the minimum version of libvirt seems to be
enough for normal operation, it isn't for encrypted volumes.

Therefore, I wonder if Nova shouldn't declare a minimum version of
libvirt higher than it claims at the moment. I'm stating that,
especially because we had this topic a few weeks ago.

Thoughts anyone?
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)