[openstack-dev] [openstackclient][openstacksdk] why does openstackclient rely on openstacksdk for get a network client

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 20:51:38 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 11:15 AM, 李健 <zijian1012 at 163.com> wrote:
> So, my question is, why does the network service not use the
> python2-neutronclient to get the client like other core projects, but
> instead uses another separate project(openstacksdk)?

There were multiple reasons to not use neutron client lib for OSC and
the SDk was good enough at the time to use ut in spite of not being at
a 1.0 release.  We have intended to migrate everything to use
OpenStackSDK and eliminate OSC's use of the python-*client libraries
completely.  We are waiting on an SDK 1.0 release, it has stretched on
for years longer than originally anticipated but the changes we have
had to accommodate in the network commands in the past convinced me to
wait until it was declared stable, even though it has been nearly
stable for a while now.

> My personal opinion, openstacksdk is a project that can be used
> independently, it is mainly to provide a unified sdk for developers, so
> there should be no interdependence between python-xxxclient and
> openstacksdk, right?

Correct, OpenStackSDK has no dependency on any of the python-*client
libraries..  Its primary dependency is on keystoneauth for the core
authentication logic, that was long ago pulled out of the keystone
client package.

dt

--

Dean Troyer