[openstack-dev] [nova] NUMA-aware live migration: easy but incomplete vs complete but hard

Artom Lifshitz alifshit at redhat.com
Tue Jun 19 19:59:37 UTC 2018

> Adding
> claims support later on wouldn't change any on-the-wire messaging, it would
> just make things work more robustly.

I'm not even sure about that. Assuming [1] has at least the right
idea, it looks like it's an either-or kind of thing: either we use
resource tracker claims and get the new instance NUMA topology that
way, or do what was in the spec and have the dest send it to the
source.

That being said, I still think I'm still in favor of choosing the
"easy" way out. For instance, [2] should fail because we can't access
the api db from the compute node. So unless there's a simpler way,
using RT claims would involve changing the RPC to add parameters to
check_can_live_migration_destination, which, while not necessarily
bad, seems like useless complexity for a thing we know will get ripped
out.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/576222/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/576222/3/nova/compute/manager.py@5897