[openstack-dev] Puppet debugging help?

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Mon Jun 18 15:59:09 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 9:13 AM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'm trying to patch puppet-keystone to support multi-valued
> configuration options (like trusted_dashboard).  I have a patch that
> works, mostly, but I've run into a frustrating problem (frustrating
> because it would seem to be orthogonal to my patches, which affect the
> keystone_config provider and type).
>
> During the initial deploy, running tripleo::profile::base::keystone
> fails with:
>
>   "Error: Could not set 'present' on ensure: undefined method `new'
>   for nil:NilClass at
>   /etc/puppet/modules/tripleo/manifests/profile/base/keystone.pp:274",

It's likely erroring in the keystone_domain provider.

https://github.com/openstack/puppet-keystone/blob/master/lib/puppet/provider/keystone_domain/openstack.rb#L115-L122
or
https://github.com/openstack/puppet-keystone/blob/master/lib/puppet/provider/keystone_domain/openstack.rb#L155-L161

Providers are notoriously bad at their error messaging.   Usually this
error happens when we get a null back from the underlying command and
we're still trying to do something.  This could point to a
misconfiguration of keystone if it's not getting anything back.