[openstack-dev] [tc] [ptl] PTL E-mail addresses on rendered team pages

Matthew Thode prometheanfire at gentoo.org
Fri Jun 15 15:23:36 UTC 2018

On 18-06-15 15:00:50, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> Governance tooling change https://review.openstack.org/575554 is
> currently up for review to start displaying current PTL E-mail
> addresses on the team specific pages linked from the projects index
> https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/projects/ page.
>
> Since https://review.openstack.org/234420 merged a few years ago
> we've been tracking PTL E-mail addresses in the structured data from
> which we generate those pages, but the Sphinx extension we're using
> was never amended to include them. Having somewhere consistent to
> point members of the community who need to reach out to the PTL of a
> team in private (and may not have easy access or comfort to do so via
> IRC privmsg) would be useful. Right now we're stuck telling people
> to dig around in a YAML file for them, which is not an especially
> friendly answer.
>
> A knee-jerk reaction any time E-mail addresses get displayed
> somewhere new is that it's going to increase the amount of spam
> those addresses receive. Keep in mind that we've been publishing all
> of them on a Web page for years now, just one which is only
> convenient for spammers and not one which is convenient for people
> who might have a legitimate need to contact our PTLs.
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

Not sure it'd help but one option we do is to create aliases based on
the title.  Though since the PTLs don't have addresses on the openstack
domain an alias may not make as much sense, it'd have to be a full
account forward.  It's useful for centralized spam filtering.

--
Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)