[openstack-dev] [nova] review runways check-in and feedback

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Fri Jun 15 12:41:43 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 10:33 PM, melanie witt <melwittt at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Howdy everyone,
>
> We've been experimenting with a new process this cycle, Review
> Runways [1] and we're about at the middle of the cycle now as we had
> the r-2 milestone last week June 7.
>
> I wanted to start a thread and gather thoughts and feedback from the
> nova community about how they think runways have been working or not
> working and lend any suggestions to change or improve as we continue
> on in the rocky cycle.
>
> We decided to try the runways process to increase the chances of core
> reviewers converging on the same changes and thus increasing reviews
> and merges on approved blueprint work. As of today, we have 69
> blueprints approved and 28 blueprints completed, we just passed r-2
> June 7 and r-3 is July 26 and rc1 is August 9 [2].
>
> Do people feel like they've been receiving more review on their
> blueprints? Does it seem like we're completing more blueprints
> earlier? Is there feedback or suggestions for change that you can
> share?

Looking at the Queens burndown chart from Matt [3] we had 11 completed
bps at Queens milestone 2. So having 28 completed bps at R-2 means a
really nice improvement on our bp completion rate. I think the runaways
process contributed to this improvement.

Did runaway solve the problem that not every equally ready patch gets
equal attention from reviewers? Clearly not. But I don't think this
would be a realistic goal for runaways.

I suggest that in the future we continue the runaway process but we
also revive the priority setting process. Before runaways we had 3-4
bps agreed as priority work for a given cycle. I think we had this 3-4
bps in our head for Rocky as well we just did not write them down. I
feel this causes misunderstanding about priories, like:
a) does reviewer X has the same 3-4 bps in her/his head with priority
as in mine?
b) does something that I think part of the 3-4 priority bps has more
importance than what is in a runaway slot?

Of course when I select what to review priority is only a single factor
and there are others, like:
* Do I have knowledge about the feature? (Did I review the related
spec? Do I have knowledge in the domain or in the impacted code path?)
* Is it seems easy to review? (e.g. low complexity feature, small
patches, well written commit message)
* Is it something that feels important to me, regardless of priority
set by the community. (e.g. Do I get frequent company internal
questions about the feature? Do I have another feature that depends on
this feature as prerequisite work?)
So during the cycle it happened that I selected patches to review even
if they wasn't in a runaway slot and ignored some patches from the
runaway slots.

Cheers,
gibi

[3]