[openstack-dev] [all] [release] How to handle "stable" deliverables releases

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Jun 13 12:11:16 UTC 2018

On 06/11/2018 11:53 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As some of the OpenStack deliverables get more mature, we need to adjust
> our release policies to best handle the case of deliverables that do not
> need to be updated that much. This discussion started with how to handle
> those "stable" libraries, but is actually also relevant for "stable"
> services.
>
> Our current models include cycle-tied models (with-intermediary,
> with-milestones, trailing) and a purely cycle-independent model. Main
> OpenStack deliverables (the service components that you can deploy to
> build an OpenStack cloud) are all "released" on a cycle. Libraries are
> typically maintained per-cycle as well. What happens if no change is
> pushed to a service or library during a full cycle ? What should we do
> then ?
>
> Options include:
>
> 1/ Force artificial releases, even if there are no changes
> 2/ Do not force releases, but still create branches from latest releases
> 2bis/ Like 2, but only create the branch when needed
> 3/ Do not force releases, and reuse stable branches from cycle to cycle
> 4/ Stop worrying about stable branches at all for those "stable" things

FYI, for downstream distribution maintainers, any evolution from 1/ is
fine: it's a bit silly for us to just rebuild a new package when there's
no need for it. It's a waste of time for package maintainer, and users
who have to download the new version, etc. We're not really concerned by
branches, all we care is if there's a new tag to be packaged.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)