[openstack-dev] use of storyboard (was [TC] Stein Goal Selection)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Jun 11 20:35:41 UTC 2018

On 2018-06-11 15:09:55 -0500 (-0500), Jay S Bryant wrote:
[...]
> Fair enough. It would help if we had buy-in from all of the
> projects but you are right that nothing prevents us from achieving
> consensus from those are are willing to participate.
[...]

Yes, we started out thinking that was going to be the way forward
and eventually learned from that mistake. It's debilitatingly
depressing to work on a project whose intended users keep saying
they want it to be identical to the also-questionably-designed thing
they're currently using because any change in process is some amount
of effort they can avoid by deferring. Refusing to let anyone use SB
year after year because it's wasn't quite ready enough for everybody
(even if it was plenty useful for somebody) resulted in the people
who had been assigned to work on it rage-quit from the endless
negativity being heaped on them.

It was only when it found other potential users outside the
OpenStack ecosystem entirely that new life was breathed into the
project, because it was getting used by somebody who couldn't be
told they weren't allowed. We resolved soon after that to discard
our prior fear of different projects relying on different tools,
realizing that no progress would ever be made if we required
everyone to agree to use it first.
--
Jeremy Stanley