[openstack-dev] use of storyboard (was [TC] Stein Goal Selection)

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Jun 11 16:54:15 UTC 2018

Excerpts from Jay S Bryant's message of 2018-06-11 11:42:52 -0500:

> On 6/11/2018 11:17 AM, CARVER, PAUL wrote:
> > Jumping into the general Storyboard topic, but distinct from the previous questions about searching, is there any equivalent in Storyboard to the Launchpad series and milestones diagrams? e.g.:
> >
> > https://launchpad.net/nova/+series
> > https://launchpad.net/neutron/+series
> > https://launchpad.net/cinder/+series
> > https://launchpad.net/networking-sfc/+series
> > https://launchpad.net/bgpvpn/+series
> >
> > As I understand from what I've read and seen on summit talk recordings, anyone can create any view of the data they please and they can share their personalized view with whomever they want, but that is basically the complete opposite of standardization. Does Storyboard have any plans to provide any standard views that are consistent across projects? Or is it focused solely on the "in club" who know what dashboard views are custom to each project?
> Paul, this is actually one of the big concerns I have with the move to
> Storyboard is the fact that there is no longer standardization across
> projects.  When I asked about this it was noted that it would be
> important for Cinder to document how we use Storyboard so people can
> refer to the documentation and know how to use it.  This, however, seems
> needlessly complicated. Would have expected how to use Storyboard was
> going to be used to be documented/recommended before hand.

I'm not sure what sort of project-specific documentation we think we
need.

Each project team can set up its own board or worklist for a given
series. The "documentation" just needs to point to that thing, right?

Each team may also decide to use a set of tags, and those would need to
be documented, but that's no different from launchpad.

> > For anyone trying to follow multiple projects at a strategic level (i.e. not down in the weeds day to day, but checking in weekly or monthly) to see what's planned, what's deferred, and what's completed for either upcoming milestones or looking back to see if something did or did not get finished, a consistent cross-project UI of some kind is essential.
> Agreed.  Wonder if at the next midcycle it would be worth having a cross
> project discussion to try and create some consistency.  That, however,
> would require buy-in from at least the core projects.

Why? If we have a large number of projects who agree to use the tool a
certain way, that seems good, regardless of whether any specific teams
are included in the group. Let the outliers document their processes, if
they end up being significantly different.