[openstack-dev] [nova] increasing the number of allowed volumes attached per instance > 26

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Jun 7 19:33:27 UTC 2018

On 06/07/2018 12:07 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 6/7/2018 12:56 PM, melanie witt wrote:

>> C) Create a configurable API limit for maximum number of volumes to attach to
>> a single instance that is either a quota or similar to a quota. Pros: lets
>> operators opt-in to a maximum that works in their environment. Cons: it's yet
>> another quota?
>
> This seems the most reasonable to me if we're going to do this, but I'm probably
> in the minority. Yes more quota limits sucks, but it's (1) discoverable by API
> users and therefore (2) interoperable.

Quota seems like kind of a blunt instrument, since it might not make sense for a
little single-vCPU guest to get the same number of connections as a massive
guest with many dedicated vCPUs.  (Since you can fit many more of the former on
a given compute node.)

If what we care about is the number of connections per compute node it almost
feels like a resource that should be tracked...but you wouldn't want to have one
instance consume all of the connections on the node so you're back to needing a
per-instance limit of some sort.

Chris