[openstack-dev] [tc][ptl][python3][help-wanted] starting work on "python 3 first" transition

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Jun 6 20:04:19 UTC 2018

I have started submitting a series of patches to fix up the tox.ini
settings for projects as a step towards running "python3 first"
[1]. The point of doing this now is to give teams a head start on
understanding the work involved as we consider whether to make this
a community goal.

The current patches are all mechanically generated changes to the
basepython value for environments that seem to be likely candidates.
They're basically the "easy" part of the transition. I've left any
changes that will need more discussion alone for now.

In particular, I've skipped over any tox environments with "functional"
in the name, since I thought those ran functional tests. Teams will
need to decide whether to change those job definitions, or duplicate
them and run them under python 2 and 3. Since we are not dropping
python 2 support until the U cycle, I suggest going ahead and running
the jobs twice.

Note that changing the tox settings won't actually change some of the
jobs. For example, with our current PTI definition, the documentation
and releasenotes jobs do not run under tox. That means those will need
to be changed by editing the zuul configuration for the repository.

I have started to make notes for tracking the work in
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/python3-first -- including some notes
about taking the next step to update the zuul job definitions and common
issues we've already encountered to help folks debug job failures.

I could use some help keeping an eye on these changes and getting
them through the gate. If you are interested in helping, please
leave a comment on the review you are willing to shepherd.

Doug

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:python3-first+(status:open+OR+status:merged)