[openstack-dev] [cyborg] [nova] Cyborg quotas

Zhipeng Huang zhipengh512 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 07:42:10 UTC 2018

Hi Blair,

Sorry for the late reply, could you elaborate more on the proxy driver idea
?

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 4:05 PM, Blair Bethwaite <blair.bethwaite at gmail.com>
wrote:

> (Please excuse the top-posting)
>
> The other possibility is that the Cyborg managed devices are plumbed in
> via IP in guest network space. Then "attach" isn't so much a Nova problem
> as a Neutron one - probably similar to Manila.
>
> Has the Cyborg team considered a RESTful-API proxy driver, i.e., something
> that wraps a vendor-specific accelerator service and makes it friendly to a
> multi-tenant OpenStack cloud? Quantum co-processors might be a compelling
> example which fit this model.
>
> Cheers,
>

> On Sun., 20 May 2018, 23:28 Chris Friesen, <chris.friesen at windriver.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 05/19/2018 05:58 PM, Blair Bethwaite wrote:
>> > G'day Jay,

>> what
>> >
>> > It will be a VM or BM, but I don't think accelerators should be tied
>> > to the life of a single instance if that isn't technically necessary
>> > (i.e., they are hot-pluggable devices). I can see plenty of scope for
>> > use-cases where Cyborg is managing devices that are accessible to
>> > compute infrastructure via network/fabric (e.g. rCUDA or dedicated
>> > PCIe fabric). And even in the simple pci passthrough case (vfio or
>> > mdev) it isn't hard to imagine use-cases for workloads that only need
>> > an accelerator sometimes.
>>
>> Currently nova only supports attach/detach of volumes and network
>> interfaces.
>> Is Cyborg looking to implement new Compute API operations to support hot
>> attach/detach of various types of accelerators?
>>
>> Chris

Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

Standard Engineer
IT Standard & Patent/IT Product Line
Huawei Technologies Co,. Ltd
Email: huangzhipeng at huawei.com
Office: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen

(Previous)
Research Assistant
Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2
University of California, Irvine
Email: zhipengh at uci.edu
Office: Calit2 Building Room 2402

OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado