[openstack-dev] [all][python3][tc][infra] Python 3.6

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jun 5 20:29:20 UTC 2018

On 2018-06-05 15:55:49 -0400 (-0400), Zane Bitter wrote:
[...]
> AIUI we're planning to switch the test nodes to Bionic, since it's
> the latest LTS release, so I'd assume that means that when we talk
> about running docs jobs, pep8 &c. with Python3 (under the
> python3-first project-wide goal) that means 3.6. And while 3.5
> jobs should continue to work, it seems like we ought to start
> testing ASAP with the version that users are going to get by
> default if they choose to use our Python3 packages.
[...]

Yes, though to clarify it's sanest to interpret our LTS distro
statement as testing on whatever the latest LTS release is at the
_start_ of the development cycle. Switching default testing
platforms has proven to be extremely disruptive to the development
process so we want that to happen as soon after the coordinated
release as feasible. That means the plan is to have the mandatory
PTI jobs for the Rocky cycle stick with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (our
ubuntu-xenial nodes) which provides Python 3.5, but encourage teams
to add jobs running on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (our ubuntu-bionic nodes) as
soon as they can to get a leg up on any potential disruption
(including the Python 3.6 it provides) before we force the PTI jobs
over to it at the start of the Stein cycle.
--
Jeremy Stanley