[openstack-dev] [tc] summary of joint leadership meeting from 20 May

Jay S Bryant jungleboyj at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 15:22:12 UTC 2018

On 6/5/2018 7:31 AM, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2018 at 11:21:16AM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> Jay Pipes wrote:
>>> Personally, I've very much enjoyed the separate PTGs because I've actually
>>> been able to get work done at them; something that was much harder when the
>>> design summits were part of the overall conference.
>> Right, the trick is to try to preserve that productivity while making it
>> easier to travel to... One way would be to make sure the PTG remains a
>> separate event (separate days, separate venues, separate registration),
>> just co-located in same city and week.
>>
>>> [...]
>>> Has the option of doing a single conference a year been addressed? Seems
>>> to me that we (the collective we) could save a lot of money not having
>>> to put on multiple giant events per year and instead have one.
>> Yes, the same strawman proposal included the idea of leveraging an
>> existing international "OpenStack Day" event and raising its profile
>> rather than organizing a full second summit every year. The second PTG
>> of the year could then be kept as a separate event, or put next to that
>> "upgraded" OpenStack Day.
>>
> I actually really like this idea. As things slow down, there just aren't enough
> of big splashy new things to announce every 6 months. I think it could work
> well to have one Summit a year, while using the OSD events as a way to reach
> those folks that can't make it to the one big event for the year due to timing
> or location.
>
> It could help concentrate efforts to have bigger goals ready by the Summit and
> keep things on a better cadence. And if we can still do a PTG-like event along
> side one of the OSD events, it would allow development to still get the
> valuable face-to-face time that we've come to expect.
I think going to one large summit event a year could be good with a
co-located PTG type event.  I think, however, that we would still need
to have a Separate PTG type event at some other point in the year.  I
think it is going to be hard to keep development momentum going in the
projects without a couple of face-to-face meetings a year.