[openstack-dev] [horizon][plugins][heat][searchlight][murano][sahara][watcher] Use default Django test runner instead of nose

Ivan Kolodyazhny e0ne at e0ne.info
Tue Jun 5 13:32:22 UTC 2018

Hi team,

In Horizon, we're going to get rid of unsupported Nose and use Django Test
Runner instead of it [1]. Nose has some issues and limitations which blocks
us in our testing improvement efforts.

Nose has different test discovery mechanism than Django does. So, there was
a chance to break some Horizon Plugins:(. Unfortunately, we haven't
cross-project CI yet (TBH, I'm working on it and it's one of the first
steps to get it done), that's why I tested this change [2] against all
known plugins [3].

Most of the projects don't need any changes. I proposed few changed to
plugins repositories [4] and most of them are merged already. Thanks a lot
to everybody who helped me with it. Patches for heat-dashboard [5] and
searchlight-ui [6] are under review.

Additional efforts are needed for murano-dashboard, sahara-dashboard, and
watcher-dashboard projects. murano-dashboard has Nose test runner enabled
in the config, so Horizon change won't affect it.

I proposed patches for sahara-dashboard [7] and watcher-dashboard [8] to
explicitly enable Nose test runner there until we'll fix all related
issues. I hope we'll have a good number of cross-project activities with
these teams.

Once all patches above will be merged, we'll be ready to the next step to
make Horizon and plugins CI better.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/544296/
[2]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17Yiso6JLeRHBSqJhAiQYkqIAvQhvNFM8NgTkrPxovMo/edit?usp=sharing