[openstack-dev] [tc] summary of joint leadership meeting from 20 May

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 22:47:22 UTC 2018

On 06/04/2018 05:02 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> The most significant point of interest to the contributor
> community from this section of the meeting was the apparently
> overwhelming interest from companies employing contributors, as
> well as 2/3 of the contributors to recent releases who responded
> to the survey, to bring the PTG and summit back together as a single
> event. This had come up at the meeting in Dublin as well, but in
> the time since then the discussions progressed and it looks much
> more likely that we will at least try re-combining the two events.

OK, so will we return to having eleventy billion different mid-cycle
events for each project?

Personally, I've very much enjoyed the separate PTGs because I've
actually been able to get work done at them; something that was much
harder when the design summits were part of the overall conference.

In fact I haven't gone to the last two summit events because of what I
perceive to be a continued trend of the summits being focused on
marketing, buzzwords and vendor pitches/sales. An extra spoonful of the
"edge", anyone?

> We discussed several reasons, including travel expense, travel visa
> difficulties, time away from home and family, and sponsorship of
> the events themselves.
>
> There are a few plans under consideration, and no firm decisions
> have been made, yet. We discussed a strawman proposal to combine
> the summit and PTG in April, in Denver, that would look much like
> our older Summit events (from the Folsom/Grizzly time frame) with
> a few days of conference and a few days of design summit, with some
> overlap in the middle of the week.  The dates, overlap, and
> arrangements will depend on venue availability.

Has the option of doing a single conference a year been addressed? Seems
to me that we (the collective we) could save a lot of money not having
to put on multiple giant events per year and instead have one.

Just my two cents, but the OpenStack and Linux foundations seem to be
pumping out new "open events" at a pretty regular clip -- OpenStack
Summit, OpenDev, Open Networking Summit, OpenStack Days, OpenInfra Days,
OpenNFV summit, the list keeps growing... at some point, do we think
that the industry as a whole is just going to get event overload?

Best,
-jay