[openstack-dev] [tc] Organizational diversity tag

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon Jun 4 22:25:33 UTC 2018

On 04/06/18 17:52, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Zane Bitter's message of 2018-06-04 17:41:10 -0400:
>> On 02/06/18 13:23, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Zane Bitter's message of 2018-06-01 15:19:46 -0400:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> It feels like we would be saying that we don't trust 2 core reviewers
>>> from the same company to put the project's goals or priorities over
>>> their employer's.  And that doesn't feel like an assumption I would
>>> want us to encourage through a tag meant to show the health of the
>>> project.
>>
>> Another way to look at it would be that the perception of a conflict of
>> interest can be just as damaging to a community as somebody actually
>> acting on a conflict of interest, and thus having clearly-defined rules
>> to manage conflicts of interest helps protect everybody (and especially
>> the people who could be perceived to have a conflict of interest but
>> aren't, in fact, acting on it).
>
> That's a reasonable perspective. Thanks for expanding on your original
> statement.
>
>> Apparently enough people see it the way you described that this is
>> probably not something we want to actively spread to other projects at
>> the moment.
>
> I am still curious to know which teams have the policy. If it is more
> widespread than I realized, maybe it's reasonable to extend it and use
> it as the basis for a health check after all.

At least Nova still does, judging by this comment from Matt Riedemann in
January:

"For the record, it's not cool for two cores from the same company to be
the sole +2s on a change contributed by the same company. Pretty
standard operating procedure."

(on https://review.openstack.org/#/c/523958/18)

When this thread started I looked for somewhere that was documented more
permanently, but I didn't find it.