[openstack-dev] [tc][all] A culture change (nitpicking)

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon Jun 4 14:13:48 UTC 2018

On 31/05/18 14:35, Julia Kreger wrote:
> Back to the topic of nitpicking!
>
> I virtually sat down with Doug today and we hammered out the positive
> aspects that we feel like are the things that we as a community want
> to see as part of reviews coming out of this effort. The principles
> change[1] in governance has been updated as a result.
>
> I think we are at a point where we have to state high level
> principles, and then also update guidelines or other context providing
> documentation to re-enforce some of items covered in this
> discussion... not just to educate new contributors, but to serve as a
> checkpoint for existing reviewers when making the decision as to how
> to vote change set. The question then becomes where would such
> guidelines or documentation best fit?

I think the contributor guide is the logical place for it. Kendall
pointed out this existing section:

https://docs.openstack.org/contributors/code-and-documentation/using-gerrit.html#reviewing-changes

It could go in there, or perhaps we separate out the parts about when to
use which review scores into a separate page from the mechanics of how
to use Gerrit.

> Should we explicitly detail the
> cause/effect that occurs? Should we convey contributor perceptions, or
> maybe even just link to this thread as there has been a massive amount
> of feedback raising valid cases, points, and frustrations.
>
> Personally, I'd lean towards a blended approach, but the question of
> where is one I'm unsure of. Thoughts?

Let's crowdsource a set of heuristics that reviewers and contributors
should keep in mind when they're reviewing or having their changes
reviewed. I made a start on collecting ideas from this and past threads,
as well as my own reviewing experience, into a document that I've
presumptuously titled "How to Review Changes the OpenStack Way" (but
might be more accurately called "The Frank Sinatra Guide to Code Review"
at the moment):

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/review-the-openstack-way

It's in an etherpad to make it easier for everyone to add their
suggestions and comments (folks in #openstack-tc have made some tweaks
already). After a suitable interval has passed to collect feedback, I'll
turn this into a contributor guide change.

Have at it!

cheers,
Zane.