[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] Upgrade concerns with nested Resource Providers

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Fri Jun 1 20:18:42 UTC 2018

> FWIW, I don't have a problem with the virt driver "knowing about
> allocations". What I have a problem with is the virt driver *claiming
> resources for an instance*.

+1000.

> That's what the whole placement claims resources things was all about,
> and I'm not interested in stepping back to the days of long racy claim
> operations by having the compute nodes be responsible for claiming
> resources.
>
> That said, once the consumer generation microversion lands [1], it
> should be possible to *safely* modify an allocation set for a consumer
> (instance) and move allocation records for an instance from one
> provider to another.

Agreed. I'm hesitant to have the compute nodes arguing with the
scheduler even to patch things up, given the mess we just cleaned
up. The thing that I think makes this okay is that one compute node
cleaning/pivoting allocations for instances isn't going to be fighting
anything else whilst doing it. Migrations and new instance builds where
the source/destination or scheduler/compute aren't clear who owns the
allocation is a problem.

That said, we need to make sure we can handle the case where an instance
is in resize_confirm state across a boundary where we go from non-NRP to
NRP. It *should* be okay for the compute to handle this by updating the
instance's allocation held by the migration instead of the instance
itself, if the compute determines that it is the source.

--Dan