[openstack-dev] [tc] Organizational diversity tag

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Fri Jun 1 14:10:31 UTC 2018

On 26/05/18 17:46, Mohammed Naser wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> During the TC retrospective at the OpenStack summit last week, the
> topic of the organizational diversity tag is becoming irrelevant was
> brought up by Thierry (ttx)[1].  It seems that for projects that are
> not very active, they can easily lose this tag with a few changes by
> perhaps the infrastructure team for CI related fixes.
>
> As an action item, Thierry and I have paired up in order to look into
> a way to resolve this issue.  There have been ideas to switch this to
> a report that is published at the end of the cycle rather than
> continuously.  Julia (TheJulia) suggested that we change or track
> different types of diversity.
>
> Before we start diving into solutions, I wanted to bring this topic up
> to the mailing list and ask for any suggestions.  In digging the
> codebase behind this[2], I've found that there are some knobs that we
> can also tweak if need-be, or perhaps we can adjust those numbers
> depending on the number of commits.

Crazy idea: what if we dropped the idea of measuring the diversity and
allowed teams to decide when they applied the tag to themselves like we
do for other tags. (No wait! Come back!)

Some teams enforce a requirement that the 2 core +2s come from reviewers
with different affiliations. We would say that any project that enforces
that rule would get the diversity tag. Then it's actually attached to
something concrete, and teams could decide for themselves when to drop
it (because they would start having difficulty merging stuff otherwise).

I'm not entirely sold on this, but it's an idea I had that I wanted to
throw out there :)

cheers,
Zane.