[openstack-dev] [nova] keypair quota usage info for user

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Wed Jul 25 17:43:10 UTC 2018

On 07/25/2018 10:29 AM, William M Edmonds wrote:

> Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com> wrote on 07/25/2018 05:44:46 AM:
> ... snip ...
>  > 1. is it ok to show the keypair used info via API ? any original
>  > rational not to do so or it was just like that from starting.
>
> keypairs aren't tied to a tenant/project, so how could nova track/report a quota
> for them on a given tenant/project? Which is how the API is constructed... note
> the "tenant_id" in GET /os-quota-sets/{tenant_id}/detail
>
>  > 2. Because this change will show the keypair used quota information
>  > in API's existing filed 'in_use', it is API behaviour change (not
>  > interface signature change in backward incompatible way) which can
>  > cause interop issue. Should we bump microversion for this change?
>
> If we find a meaningful way to return in_use data for keypairs, then yes, I
> would expect a microversion bump so that callers can distinguish between a)
> talking to an older installation where in_use is always 0 vs. b) talking to a
> newer installation where in_use is 0 because there are really none in use. Or if
> we remove keypairs from the response, which at a glance seems to make more
> sense, that should also have a microversion bump so that someone who expects the
> old response format will still get it.

Keypairs are weird in that they're owned by users, not projects.  This is
arguably wrong, since it can cause problems if a user boots an instance with
their keypair and then gets removed from a project.

Nova microversion 2.54 added support for modifying the keypair associated with
an instance when doing a rebuild.  Before that there was no clean way to do it.

Chris