[openstack-dev] [release] Release countdown for week R-5, July 23-27

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Thu Jul 19 15:42:11 UTC 2018

Development Focus
-----------------

Teams should be focused on implementing planned work. Work should be wrapping
up on client libraries to meet the client lib deadline Thursday, the 26th.

General Information
-------------------

The final client library release is on Thursday the 26th. Releases will only be
allowed for critical fixes in libraries after this point as we stabilize
requirements and give time for any unforeseen impacts from lib changes to
trickle through.

If release critical library or client library releases are needed for Rocky
past the freeze dates, you must request a Feature Freeze Exception (FFE) from
the requirements team before we can do a new release to avoid having something
released in Rocky that is not actually usable. This is done by posting to the
openstack-dev mailing list with a subject line similar to:

    [$PROJECT][requirements] FFE requested for $PROJECT_LIB

Include justification/reasoning for why a FFE is needed for this lib. If/when
the requirements team OKs the post-freeze update, we can then process a new
release. Including a link to the FFE in the release request is not required,
but would be helpful in making sure we are clear to do a new release.

When requesting these library releases, you should also include the stable
branching request with the review (as an example, see the "branches" section
here:

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/releases/tree/deliverables/pike/os-brick.yaml#n2)

Cycle-trailing projects are reminded that all reviews to the requirements
project will have a procedural -2 unless it recieves a FFE until stable/rocky
is branched.

Upcoming Deadlines & Dates

Stein PTL nominations: July 24-31 (pending finalization)
Final client library release deadline: July 26
Rocky-3 Milestone: July 26
RC1 deadline: August 9

--
Sean McGinnis (smcginnis)