[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder][neutron][qa] Should we add a tempest-slow job?

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Thu Jul 19 04:55:21 UTC 2018

> [...]
 > > https://ethercalc.openstack.org/nu56u2wrfb2b and there were frequent
 > > gate failure for heavy tests mainly from ssh checks so we tried to
 > > mark more tests as slow.
 > > I agree that some of them are not really slow at least in today situation.
 > >

 > >> There is only one job that can be run against nova changes which runs the
 > >> slow tests but it's in the experimental queue so people forget to run it.
 > >
 > > Tempest job "legacy-tempest-dsvm-neutron-scenario-multinode-lvm-multibackend"
 > > run those slow tests including migration and LVM  multibackend tests.
 > > This job runs on tempest check pipeline and experimental (as you
 > > mentioned) on nova and cinder [3]. We marked this as n-v to check its
 > > stability and now it is good to go as voting on tempest.
 > >

 > >> As a test, I've proposed a nova-slow job [1] which only runs the slow tests
 > >> and only the compute API and scenario tests. Since there currently no
 > >> compute API tests marked as slow, it's really just running slow scenario
 > >> tests. Results show it runs 37 tests in about 37 minutes [2]. The overall
 > >> job runtime was 1 hour and 9 minutes, which is on average less than the
 > >> tempest-full job. The nova-slow job is also running scenarios that nova
 > >> patches don't actually care about, like the neutron IPv6 scenario tests.
 > >>
 > >> My question is, should we make this a generic tempest-slow job which can be
 > >> run either in the integrated-gate or at least in nova/neutron/cinder
 > >> consistently (I'm not sure if there are slow tests for just keystone or
 > >> glance)? I don't know if the other projects already have something like this
 > >> that they gate on. If so, a nova-specific job for nova changes is fine for
 > >> me.
 > >
 > > +1 on idea. As of now slow marked tests are from nova, cinder and
 > > neutron scenario tests and 2 API swift tests only [4]. I agree that
 > > making a generic job in tempest is better for maintainability. We can
 > > use existing job for that with below modification-
 > > -  We can migrate
 > > "legacy-tempest-dsvm-neutron-scenario-multinode-lvm-multibackend" job
 > > zuulv3 in tempest repo
 > > -  We can see if we can move migration tests out of it and use
 > > "nova-live-migration" job (in tempest check pipeline ) which is much
 > > better in live migration env setup and controlled by nova.
 > > -  then it can be name something like
 > > "tempest-scenario-multinode-lvm-multibackend".
 > > -  run this job in nova, cinder, neutron check pipeline instead of experimental.
 >
 > Like this - https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/tempest+branch:master+topic:scenario-tests-job
 >
 > That makes scenario job as generic with running all scenario tests
 > including slow tests with concurrency 2. I made few cleanup and moved
 > live migration tests out of it which is being run by
 > 'nova-live-migration' job. Last patch making this job as voting on
 > tempest side.
 >
 > If looks good, we can use this to run on project side pipeline as voting.

Update on this thread:
 Old Scenario  job "legacy-tempest-dsvm-neutron-scenario-multinode-lvm-multibackend" has been migrated to Tempest as new job named "tempest-scenario-all" job[1]

Changes from old job to new job:
- This new job will run all the scenario tests including slow with lvm multibackend. Same as old job
-  Executed the live migration API tests out of it. Live migration API tests runs on separate  nova job "nova-live-migration".
- This new job runs as voting on Tempest check and gate pipeline.

This is ready to use for cross project also. i have pushed the patch to nova, neutron, cinder to use this new job[3] and remove "legacy-tempest-dsvm-neutron-scenario-multinode-lvm-multibackend" from project-config[4].

Let me know your feedback on proposed patches.

[1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/tempest/tree/.zuul.yaml#n147
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:run-tempest-scenario-all-job+(status:open+OR+status:merged)
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:run-tempest-scenario-all-job+(status:open+OR+status:merged)
[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:drop-legacy-scenario-job+(status:open+OR+status:merged)