[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] TC Report 18-29

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Jul 17 16:19:56 UTC 2018

HTML: https://anticdent.org/tc-report-18-29.html

Again a relatively slow week for TC discussion. Several members were
travelling for one reason or another.

A theme from the past week is a recurring one: How can OpenStack,
the community, highlight gaps where additional contribution may be
needed, and what can the TC, specifically, do to help?

Julia relayed [that question on
Wednesday](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-07-11.log.html#t2018-07-11T00:39:16)
and it meandered a bit from there. Are the mechanics of open source
a bit strange in OpenStack because of continuing boundaries between
the people who sell it, package it, build it, deploy it, operate it,
and use it? If so, how do we accelerate blurring those boundaries?
The [combined
PTG](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-07-11.log.html#t2018-07-11T00:39:16)
will help, some.

At Thursday's office hours Alan Clark [listened
in](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-07-12.log.html#t2018-07-12T15:02:34).
He's a welcome presence from the Foundation Board. At the last
summit in Vancouver members of the TC and the Board made a
commitment to improve communication. Meanwhile, [back on
Wednesday](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-07-11.log.html#t2018-07-11T15:29:30)
I expressed a weird sense of jealousy of all the nice visible things
one sees the foundation doing for the newer strategic areas in the
foundation. The issue here is not that the foundation doesn't do
stuff for OpenStack-classic, but that the new stuff is visible and
_over there_.

That office hour included [more
talk](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-07-12.log.html#t2018-07-12T15:07:27)
about project-need visibility.

Lately, I've been feeling that it is more important to make the gaps
in contribution visible than it is to fill them. If we continue to
perform above and beyond, there is no incentive for our corporate
value extractors to supplement their investment. That way lies
burnout. The [health
tracker](https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStack_health_tracker)
is part of making things more visible. So are [OpenStack wide
goals](https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/index.html). But
there is more we can do as a community and as individuals. Don't be
a hero: If you're overwhelmed or overworked tell your peers and your
management.

In other news: Zane summarized some of his thoughts about
[Limitations of the Layered Model of
OpenStack](https://www.zerobanana.com/archive/2018/07/17#openstack-layer-model-limitations).
This is a continuation of the technical vision discussions that have
been happening on [an
etherpad](https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tech-vision-2018) and
[email
thread](http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-July/131955.html).