[openstack-dev] [openstack-community] Give cinder-backup more CPU resources

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Mon Jul 16 09:37:50 UTC 2018

On 06/07, Amy Marrich wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Forwarding to the Dev list as you may get a better response from there.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Amy (spotz)

Hi,

I included a good number of improvements regarding bottlenecks on the
backup service in recent releases, some of them are automatic, and
others need configuration tweaks.  But even in older releases there are
a couple of things that can be done to mitigate/fix this situation,
depending on the release you are using.

In general I recommend:

- Using more than one process:

  Use the "backup_processes" option, if available, to run multiple
  subprocesses (like Alan suggested).

  If this option is not available run multiple backup services on the
  same machine (like Duncan suggests), but use a configuration overlay
  to change the host configuration option. That way you won't have
  problems with one service messing up the others' resources at start
  time.

- Increase the native thread pool size: This is even more critical if
  you are using RBD backend:

  Using the "backend_native_threads_pool_size" configuration option [1],
  if available, we can increase the default size.

  If your deployment doesn't have this option, you can still use
  environmental variable "EVENTLET_THREADPOOL_SIZE" to set it in any
  release.

Cheers,
Gorka.

[1]: https://github.com/openstack/cinder/commit/e570436d1cca5cfa89388aec8b2daa63d01d0250