[openstack-dev] [python3][tc][infra][docs] changing the documentation build PTI to use tox

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon Jul 9 15:04:28 UTC 2018

On 05/07/18 16:46, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> I have a governance patch up [1] to change the project-testing-interface
> (PTI) for building documentation to restore the use of tox.
>
> We originally changed away from tox because we wanted to have a
> single standard command that anyone could use to build the documentation
> for a project. It turns out that is more complicated than just
> running sphinx-build in a lot of cases anyway, because of course
> you have a bunch of dependencies to install before sphinx-build
> will work.

Is this the main reason? If we think we made the wrong call (i.e.
everyone has to set up a virtualenv and install doc/requirements.txt
anyway so we should just make them use tox even if they are not Python
projects), then I agree it makes sense to fix it even though we only
_just_ finished telling people it would be the opposite way.

> Updating the job that uses sphinx directly to run under python 3,
> while allowing the transition to be self-testing, was going to
> require writing some extra complexity to look at something in the
> repository to decide what version of python to use.  Since tox
> handles that for us by letting us set basepython in the virtualenv
> configuration, it seemed more straightforward to go back to using
> tox.

Wouldn't another option be to have separate Zuul jobs for Python 3 and
Python 2-based sphinx builds? Then the switchover would still be
self-testing.

I'd rather do that if this is the main problem we're trying to solve,
rather than reverse course.