[openstack-dev] [nova] Supporting volume_type when booting from volume

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 20:51:00 UTC 2018

On 5/23/2017 7:12 PM, Michael Glasgow wrote:

> A slight disadvantage of this approach is that the resulting
> incongruence between the client and the API is obfuscating.  When an end
> user can make accurate inferences about the API based on how the client
> works, that's a form of transparency that can pay dividends.
>
> Also in terms of the "slippery slope" that has been raised, putting
> small bits of orchestration into the client creates a grey area there as
> well:  how much is too much?
>
> OTOH I don't disagree with you.  This approach might be the best of
> several not-so-great options, but I wish I could think of a better one.

Just an FYI that this same 'pass volume type when booting from volume'
request came up again today:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/579520/

We might want to talk about this again at the Stein PTG in September to
see if the benefit of adding this for people outweighs the orchestration
cost since it seems it's never going to go away and lots of deployments
are already patching it in.

Matt