[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] TC Report 18-26

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 20:31:09 UTC 2018

On 07/06/2018 12:58 PM, Zane Bitter wrote:
> On 02/07/18 19:13, Jay Pipes wrote:
>> Nova's primary competition is:
>>
>> * Stand-alone Ironic
>> * oVirt and stand-alone virsh callers
>> * Parts of VMWare vCenter [3]
>> * MaaS in some respects
>
> Do you see KubeVirt or Kata or Virtlet or RancherVM ending up on this
> list at any point? Because a lot of people* do.
 >
> * https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17013779

Please don't lose credibility by saying "a lot of people" see things
like RancherVM as competitors to Nova [1] by pointing to a HackerNews
[2] thread where two people discuss why RancherVM exists and where one
of those people is Darren Shepherd, a co-founder of Rancher, previously
at Citrix and GoDaddy with a long-known distaste for all things OpenStack.

I don't think that thread is particularly unbiased or helpful.

I'll respond to the rest of your (excellent) points a little later...

Best,
-jay

[1] Nova isn't actually mentioned there. "OpenStack" is.

[2] I've often wondered who has time to actually respond to anything on
HackerNews. Same for when Slashdot was a thing. In fact, now that I
think about it, I spend entirely too much time worrying about all of
this stuff... ;)