[openstack-dev] [Openstack] [nova][api] Novaclient redirect endpoint https into http

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 18:55:47 UTC 2018

+openstack-dev@

On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 14:50:26 +0000, Bogdan Katynski wrote:
>> But, I can not use nova command, endpoint nova have been redirected from https to http. Here:http://prntscr.com/k2e8s6  (command: nova –insecure service list)
> First of all, it seems that the nova client is hitting /v2.1 instead of /v2.1/ URI and this seems to be triggering the redirect.
>
> Since openstack CLI works, I presume it must be using the correct URL and hence it’s not getting redirected.
>

>> And this is error log: Unable to establish connection tohttp://192.168.30.70:8774/v2.1/: ('Connection aborted.', BadStatusLine("''",))
>>
> Looks to me that nova-api does a redirect to an absolute URL. I suspect SSL is terminated on the HAProxy and nova-api itself is configured without SSL so it redirects to an http URL.
>
> In my opinion, nova would be more load-balancer friendly if it used a relative URI in the redirect but that’s outside of the scope of this question and since I don’t know the context behind choosing the absolute URL, I could be wrong on that.

Thanks for mentioning this. We do have a bug open in python-novaclient
around a similar issue [1]. I've added comments based on this thread and
will consult with the API subteam to see if there's something we can do
about this in nova-api.

-melanie

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-novaclient/+bug/1776928