[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] TC Report 18-27

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Jul 3 22:01:05 UTC 2018

HTML: https://anticdent.org/tc-report-18-27.html

This week's TC Report will be relatively short. I wrote a lot of
OpenStack related words yesterday in
[Some Opinions On Openstack](https://anticdent.org/some-opinions-on-openstack.html).

That post was related to one of the main themes that has shown up in
IRC and email discussions recently: creating a [technical
vision](https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tech-vision-2018) for the
near future of OpenStack. One idea has been to [separate plumbing
from porcelain](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-06-26.log.html#t2018-06-26T15:30:33).
There's also a [long email
thread](http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-July/131944.html)
considering many ideas. One idea from that which I particularly like
is unifying all the various agents that live on a compute node into
one agent, one that likely talks to `etcd`. `nodelet` like a
`kubelet`. None of this is something that will happen overnight. I
hope at least some if it does, eventually.

Some change that's actually in progress now: For a long time
OpenStack has tracked the organizational diversity of contributors
to the various sub-projects. There's been a fair bit of talk that
the tracking doesn't map to reality in a useful way and we need to
[figure out what to do about
it](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-06-28.log.html#t2018-06-28T15:06:49).
That has resulted in a plan to [remove team diversity
tags](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-06-28.log.html#t2018-06-28T15:06:49)
and instead use a more holistic approach to being aware of and
dealing with what's now being called "fragility" in teams. One
aspect of this is the human-managed [health
tracker](https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStack_health_tracker).

Julia went to China for an OpenStack event and her eyes were opened
about the different context contributors there experience. She wrote
a [superuser
post](http://superuser.openstack.org/articles/translating-context-understanding-the-global-open-source-community/)
and there's been subsequent related IRC discussion about [the
challenges that people in China
experience](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-06-27.log.html#t2018-06-27T14:06:00)
trying to participate in OpenStack. More generally there is a need
to figure out some ways to build a [shared
context](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-07-03.log.html#t2018-07-03T09:11:10)
that involves people who are not a part of our usual circles.

As usual, one of the main outcomes of that was that we need to make
the time to share and talk more and in a more accessible fashion. We
see bursts of that (we're seeing one now) but how do we sustain it
and how do we extract some agreement that can lead to concerted
action?