[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] TC Report 18-26

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Tue Jul 3 19:48:17 UTC 2018

I don't dispute trivial, but a self hosting k8s on bare metal is not incredibly hard. In fact, it is easier then you might think. k8s is a platform for deploying/managing services. Guess what you need to provision bare metal? Just a few microservices. A dhcp service. dhcpd in a daemonset works well. some pxe infrastructure. pixiecore with a simple http backend works pretty well in practice. a service to provide installation instructions. nginx server handing out kickstart files for example. and a place to fetch rpms from in case you don't have internet access or want to ensure uniformity. nginx server with a mirror yum repo. Its even possible to seed it on minikube and sluff it off to its own cluster.

The main hard part about it is currently no one is shipping a reference implementation of the above. That may change...

It is certainly much much easier then deploying enough OpenStack to get a self hosting ironic working.

Thanks,
Kevin