[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] TC Report 18-26

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Mon Jul 2 13:22:12 UTC 2018

On Thu, 28 Jun 2018, Fox, Kevin M wrote:

> I think if OpenStack wants to gain back some of the steam it had before, it needs to adjust to the new world it is living in. This means:
> * Consider abolishing the project walls. They are driving bad architecture (not intentionally but as a side affect of structure)
> * focus on the commons first.
> * simplify the architecture for ops:
>   * make as much as possible stateless and centralize remaining state.
>   * stop moving config options around with every release. Make it promote automatically and persist it somewhere.
>   * improve serial performance before sharding. k8s can do 5000 nodes on one control plane. No reason to do nova cells and make ops deal with it except for the most huge of clouds
> * consider a reference product (think Linux vanilla kernel. distro's can provide their own variants. thats ok)
> * come up with an architecture team for the whole, not the subsystem. The whole thing needs to work well.
> * encourage current OpenStack devs to test/deploy Kubernetes. It has some very good ideas that OpenStack could benefit from. If you don't know what they are, you can't adopt them.

These are ideas worth thinking about. We may not be able to do them
(unclear) but they are stimulating and interesting and we need to
keep the converstaion going. Thank you.

I referenced this thread from a blog post I just made
https://anticdent.org/some-opinions-on-openstack.html
which is just a bunch of random ideas on tweaking OpenStack in the
face of growth and change. It's quite likely it's junk, but there
may be something useful to extract as we try to achieve some focus.