[openstack-dev] [Openstack] Cinder volume Troubleshoot

Alan Bishop abishop at redhat.com
Sun Jul 1 14:48:29 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 9:02 AM Jay Bryant <jsbryant at electronicjungle.net>
wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> Just a note thatyou may need to look way back in the logs to find the
> cause as there m as y be many periodic job failures filling the logs.
>
> Jay
>
> On Sun, Jul 1, 2018, 7:09 AM Ivan Kolodyazhny <e0ne at e0ne.info> wrote:
>
>> Hi Kevin,
>>
>> Do you have any errors or tracebacks in /var/log/cinder/cinder-volume.log?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ivan Kolodyazhny,
>> http://blog.e0ne.info/
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 12:02 PM, Kevin Kwon <poby1972 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Dear All!
>>>

>>> would you please let me know how can troubleshoot below case?
>>>
>>> i don't know why below Storage server is down.
>>>
>>> Please help to figure it out..
>>>

>>> root at OpenStack-Controller:~# openstack volume service list
>>>
>>> +------------------+-----------------------+------+---------+-------+----------------------------+
>>> | Binary           | Host                  | Zone | Status  | State |
>>> Updated At                 |
>>>
>>> +------------------+-----------------------+------+---------+-------+----------------------------+
>>> | cinder-scheduler | OpenStack-Controller  | nova | enabled | up    |
>>> 2018-07-01T08:58:19.000000 |
>>> | cinder-volume    | OpenStack-Storage at lvm | nova | enabled | down  |
>>> 2018-07-01T07:28:59.000000 |
>>>
>>> +------------------+-----------------------+------+---------+-------+----------------------------+

I don't know what tooling you use to deploy OpenStack, but I notice
cinder-volume's backend is named "lvm." Do you know if the LVM backend is
configured to use a dedicated block device on the storage node? Or might it
be using a loopback device such how tooling like puppet-cinder handles
things (see [1])?

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/puppet-cinder/blob/master/manifests/setup_test_volume.pp#L22

If the LVM  backend uses a loopback device, then remember that loopback
devices are not automatically restored on reboot. A common failure scenario
is the storage node reboots, and the cinder-volume LVM backend does not
come up because the LVM loopback device isn't restored.

Alan