[openstack-dev] [neutron][lbaas][neutron-lbaas][octavia] Announcing the deprecation of neutron-lbaas and neutron-lbaas-dashboard

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 17:50:21 UTC 2018

Today we are announcing the start of the deprecation cycle for
neutron-lbaas and neutron-lbaas-dashboard. As part of the neutron
stadium evolution [1], neutron-lbaas was identified as a project that
should spin out of neutron and become its own project. The
specification detailing this process was approved [2] during the
newton OpenStack release cycle.

OpenStack load balancing no longer requires deep access into the
neutron code base and database. All of the required networking
capabilities are now available via stable APIs. This change de-couples
the load balancing release versioning from the rest of the OpenStack
deployment. Since Octavia uses stable APIs when interacting with other
OpenStack services, you can run a different version of Octavia in
relation to your OpenStack cloud deployment.

Per OpenStack deprecation policy, both projects will continue to
receive support and bug fixes during the deprecation cycle, but no new
features will be added to either project. All future feature
enhancements will now occur on the Octavia project(s) [3].

We are not announcing the end of the deprecation cycle at this time,
but it will follow OpenStack policy of at least two release cycles
prior to retirement. This means that the first release that these
projects could be retired would be the “T” OpenStack release cycle.

We have created a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) wiki page to help
answer additional questions you may have about this process:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/LBaaS/Deprecation

For more information or if you have additional questions, please see
the following resources:

The FAQ: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/LBaaS/Deprecation

The Octavia documentation: https://docs.openstack.org/octavia/latest/

Reach out to us via IRC on the Freenode IRC network, channel #openstack-lbaas

Weekly Meeting: 20:00 UTC on Wednesdays in #openstack-lbaas on the
Freenode IRC network.

Sending email to the OpenStack developer mailing list: openstack-dev
[at] lists [dot] openstack [dot] org. Please prefix the subject with
'[openstack-dev][Octavia]'

Thank you for your support and patience during this transition,

Michael Johnson
Octavia PTL

[1] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/neutron-specs/specs/newton/neutron-stadium.html
[2] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/neutron-specs/specs/newton/kill-neutron-lbaas.html