[openstack-dev] [kolla] Policy regarding template customisation

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Tue Jan 30 17:34:05 UTC 2018

I'm ok with #2,

Though I would like to show an alternative that we have been
experimenting with that avoids the whole needs for a globals.yml and
such files in the first place (and feels more naturally inline with how
ansible works IMHO).

So short explanation first; we have this yaml format that describes all
of our clouds and there settings and such (and which servers belong in
which cloud and so on and so forth). We have then setup a REST server
(small gunicorn based one) that renders/serves this format into other
formats.

One of those other formats is one that is compatible with ansibles
concept of dynamic inventory [1] and that is the one we are trying to
send into kolla-ansible to get it to configure all the things (via
typical mechanisms such as hostvars and groupvars).

An example of this rendering:

https://gist.github.com/harlowja/9d7b57571a2290c315fc9a4bf2957dac (this
is dynamically generated from the other format, which is git version
controlled...).

The goal here is that we can just render all the needed variables and
such for kolla-ansible (at a per-host basis if we have to) and avoid the
need for having a special globals.yml (per-cloud/environment) and
per-host special files in the first place.

Was this kind of approach ever thought of?

Perhaps I can go into more detail if it seems like one others may want
to follow....

[1]: http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/intro_dynamic_inventory.html