[openstack-dev] [kolla] Policy regarding template customisation

Paul Bourke paul.bourke at oracle.com
Tue Jan 30 10:46:08 UTC 2018

So I think everyone is in agreement that it should be option 2. I'm
leaning towards this also but I'm wondering how much of this makes
things easier for us as developers rather than operators.

How committed this are we in practice? For example, if we take
nova.conf[0], if we follow option 2, theoretically all alternate
hypervisor options (vmware/xen/nova-fake) etc. should come out and be
left to override files. As should options templating options such as
metadata_workers, listen ports, etc. globals.yml could probably be half
the size it currently is. But if we go this route how many operators
will stick with kolla? Maybe it won't be a big deal, the issue currently
is the line is blurred on what gets templated and what doesn't.