[openstack-dev] [nova] Native QEMU LUKS decryption review overview ahead of FF

Lee Yarwood lyarwood at redhat.com
Wed Jan 24 09:09:20 UTC 2018

On 23-01-18 13:44:49, Lee Yarwood wrote:
> A breif progress update in-line below.
>
> On 22-01-18 14:22:12, Lee Yarwood wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > With M3 and FF rapidly approaching this week I wanted to post a brief
> > overview of the QEMU native LUKS series.
> >
> > The full series is available on the following topic, I'll go into more
> > detail on each of the changes below:
> >
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/libvirt-qemu-native-luks+status:open
> >
> > libvirt: Collocate encryptor and volume driver calls
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/460243/ (Missing final +2 and +W)
> >
> > This refactor of the Libvirt driver connect and disconnect volume code
> > has the added benefit of also correcting a number of bugs around the
> > attaching and detaching of os-brick encryptors. IMHO this would be
> > useful in Queens even if the rest of the series doesn't land.
> >
> > libvirt: Introduce disk encryption config classes
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/464008/ (Missing final +2 and +W)
> >
> > This is the most straight forward change of the series and simply
> > introduces the required config classes to wire up native LUKS decryption
> > within the domain XML of an instance. Hopefully nothing controversial.
>
> Both of these have landed, my thanks to jaypipes for his reviews!
>
> > libvirt: QEMU native LUKS decryption for encrypted volumes
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/523958/ (Missing both +2s and +W)
> >
> > This change carries the bulk of the implementation, wiring up encrypted
> > volumes during their initial attachment. The commit message has a
> > detailed run down of the various upgrade and LM corner cases we attempt
> > to handle here, such as LM from a P to Q compute, detaching a P attached
> > encrypted volume after upgrading to Q etc.
>
> Thanks to melwitt and mdbooth for your reviews! I've respun to address
> the various nits and typos pointed out in this change. Ready and waiting
> to respin again if any others crop up.

My thanks again to melwitt for another review on this final patch. I'm
going to be offline for most of Thursday ahead of the FF deadline so if any
non-RH core reviewers are able to look at this today I'll do my best to
address any nits, concerns, facepalms etc ASAP.

Cheers,

Lee
--
Lee Yarwood                 A5D1 9385 88CB 7E5F BE64  6618 BCA6 6E33 F672 2D76