[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] TC Report 18-04

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Jan 23 23:22:50 UTC 2018

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018, gordon chung wrote:

> i love this intro. when does your coming-of-age book come out? :)

What, you don't have it already? It's _so_ amazing.

> i think this probably links back to the issues with openstack-specs.
> maybe it's because the tasks aren't flashy enough, maybe it's because
> people have too much work. personally, i've never had a user/anyone tell
> me that "goal X would be useful in your project" and considering how
> silo'd the projects are, looking outside my project of focus is not very
> high on priority.

Yes, that too.

>> ## PTL Balance
>>
>> In [this morning's office
>> hours](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-01-18.log.html#t2018-01-18T15:43:53)
>
> this link is wrong! you made me read stuff i didn't want to read! :P i'm
> going to guess it roughly starts here:
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-01-23.log.html#t2018-01-23T09:48:03

Bah, the one time I'm not super careful about checking links. Yeah,
the one you found is the right one.

> if i were to (potentially) oversimplify it, i would agree with this
> statement:
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-01-23.log.html#t2018-01-23T10:12:22
>
> i don't believe a PTL necessarily has to keep the whole state of the
> project in their head (although they could). ultimately, it's up to the
> PTL to decide how much they're willing to defer to others.

I think that is probably how things should be, but I'm not sure it
is how things always are.

I expect there's a bit of nova exceptionalism built into this
analysis and also a bit of bleed between being the PTL and doing
anything with significant traction in nova when not the PTL: the
big picture is a big deal and you got gotta be around, a lot.

But, as I've said many times, the report intentionally represents
my own interpretations and biases, in hope that someone might
respond and say a variety of things, including "WRONG!", driving
forward our dialectic.

So, thanks for responding. I owe you a cookie or something.

--
Chris Dent                      (⊙_⊙')         https://anticdent.org/