[openstack-dev] [glance] py27 gate situation

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 00:07:35 UTC 2018

Looks like something changed in a distro dependency over the weekend
and the glance py27 gate is failing.

I did a dist-upgrade in a new Ubuntu 16.04.3 vm, and was able to
reproduce the failures locally.  I'll continue looking, but it's EOD
where I am, so I wanted to make sure this info is available to the
people whose day is about to begin.  The failures are confined to the
py27 functional tests.  Unit tests pass, as do all the py35 tests.

The requirements team has merged a change making the cross-glance-py27
job non-voting:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/536082/
Thus, this issue isn't holding up requirements changes, but it's still
pretty urgent for us to figure out because I don't like us running
around naked with respect to requirements changes that could affect
glance running under py27.

Here's what I think we should do:

(1) Sean has had a patch up for a while separating out the unit tests
from the functional tests.  I think it's a good idea.  If you are
aware of a reason why they should NOT be separated, please comment on
the patch:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/474816/
I'd like to merge this soon so we can at least restore py27 unit tests
to the requirements gate.  We can always revert if it turns out that
there is a really good reason for not separating out the functional
tests.

(2) I've got a patch up that depends on Sean's patch and restores the
functional test gate jobs to the glance .zuul.yaml file (though it
makes the py27 functional tests non-voting):
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/536630/

(3) Continue to work on https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/1744824
to figure out why the py27 functional tests are failing.  As far as I
can tell, it looks like a distro package issue.

thanks,
brian