[openstack-dev] [nova] Native QEMU LUKS decryption review overview ahead of FF

Lee Yarwood lyarwood at redhat.com
Mon Jan 22 14:22:12 UTC 2018

Hello,

With M3 and FF rapidly approaching this week I wanted to post a brief
overview of the QEMU native LUKS series.

The full series is available on the following topic, I'll go into more
detail on each of the changes below:

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/libvirt-qemu-native-luks+status:open

libvirt: Collocate encryptor and volume driver calls
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/460243/ (Missing final +2 and +W)

This refactor of the Libvirt driver connect and disconnect volume code
has the added benefit of also correcting a number of bugs around the
attaching and detaching of os-brick encryptors. IMHO this would be
useful in Queens even if the rest of the series doesn't land.

libvirt: Introduce disk encryption config classes
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/464008/ (Missing final +2 and +W)

This is the most straight forward change of the series and simply
introduces the required config classes to wire up native LUKS decryption
within the domain XML of an instance. Hopefully nothing controversial.

libvirt: QEMU native LUKS decryption for encrypted volumes
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/523958/ (Missing both +2s and +W)

This change carries the bulk of the implementation, wiring up encrypted
volumes during their initial attachment. The commit message has a
detailed run down of the various upgrade and LM corner cases we attempt
to handle here, such as LM from a P to Q compute, detaching a P attached
encrypted volume after upgrading to Q etc.

Upgrade and LM testing is enabled by the following changes:

fixed_key: Use a single hardcoded key across devstack deployments
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/536343/

compute: Introduce an encrypted volume LM test
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/536177/

This is being tested by tempest-dsvm-multinode-live-migration and
grenade-dsvm-neutron-multinode-live-migration in the following DNM Nova
change, enabling volume backed LM tests:

DNM: Test LM with encrypted volumes
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/536350/

Hopefully that covers everything but please feel free to ping if you
would like more detail, background etc. Thanks in advance,

Lee
--
Lee Yarwood                 A5D1 9385 88CB 7E5F BE64  6618 BCA6 6E33 F672 2D76