[openstack-dev] [tripleo] tripleo-upgrade pike branch

John Trowbridge trown at redhat.com
Fri Jan 19 15:47:40 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 10:21 AM, Wesley Hayutin <whayutin at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Marius for sending this out and kicking off a conversation.
>
> On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 12:56 PM, Marius Cornea <mariusc at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone and Happy New Year!
>>
>> As the migration of tripleo-upgrade repo to the openstack namespace is
>> now complete I think it's the time to create a Pike branch to capture
>> the current state so we can use it for Pike testing and keep the
>> master branch for Queens changes. The update/upgrade steps are
>> changing between versions and the aim of branching the repo is to keep
>> the update/upgrade steps clean per branch to avoid using conditionals
>> based on release. Also tripleo-upgrade should be compatible with
>> different tools used for deployment(tripleo-quickstart, infrared,
>> manual deployments) which use different vars for the version release
>> so in case of using conditionals we would need extra steps to
>> normalize these variables.
>>

> I understand the desire to create a branch to protect the work that has
> been done previously.
> The interesting thing is that you guys are proposing to use a branched
> ansible role with
> a branchless upstream project.  I want to make sure we have enough review
> so that we don't hit issues
> in the future.   Maybe that is OK, but I have at least one concern.
>
> My conern is about gating the tripleo-upgrade role and it's branches.
> When tripleo-quickstart is changed
> which is branchless we will be have to kick off a job for each
> tripleo-upgrade branch?  That immediately doubles
> the load on gates.

I do not think CI repos should be branched. Even more than the concern Wes
brought up about a larger gate matrix. Think
about how much would need to get backported. To start you would just have
the 2 branches, but eventually you will have 3.
Likely all 3 will have slight differences in how different pieces of the
upgrade are called (otherwise why branch), so when
you need to fix something on all branches the backports have a high
potential to be non-trivial too.

Release conditionals are not perfect, but I dont think compatibility is
really a major issue. Just document how to set the
release, and the different CI tools that use your role will just have to
adapt to that.