[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Clarifying testing recommendation for interop programs

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jan 19 12:44:34 UTC 2018

Colleen Murphy wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 1:52 AM, Ken'ichi Ohmichi <ken1ohmichi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I feel pretty sure that was discussed in a TC meeting, but I can't
>>> find that. I do find Matt and Ken'ichi voting +1 on the resolution
>>> itself.  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/312718/. If I remember
>>> correctly, Ken'ichi was the PTL at the time.
>>
>> Yeah, I have still agreed with the resolution.
>> When I voted +1 on that, core projects were defined as 6 projects like
>> Nova, Cinder, Glance, Keystone, Neutron and Swift.
>> And the project navigator also showed these 6 projects as core projects.
>> Now I cannot find such definition on the project navigator[1], the
>> definition has been changed?
>> I just want to clarify "is it true that designate and heat become core
>> projects?"
>> If there is a concrete decision, I don't have any objections against
>> that we have these projects tests in Tempest as the resolution.
>
> I think the fuzziness between what we're colloquially calling "core"
> (or sometimes "integrated"), what has tests in tempest, and what is
> part of the original trademark program, is part of the problem.

Right. People are using "core" to mean different things. And the reason
is that there is no definition for it. So it's a convenient catch-all
term for "the main projects" that works in all situations, whatever you
mean by that.

The bylaws only define "Trademark Designated OpenStack Software", and
the badly-named "Defcore" subcommittee was tasked with defining it, out
of a subset of the "OpenStack Technical Committee Approved Release",
which itself is a subset of the OpenStack official deliverables.

The resolution above did not mention "core" at all. It only mentions the
interoperability tests used by the Defcore workgroup to define
"Trademark Designated OpenStack Software".

The tension here is that the QA team agreed to the resolution with the
feeling that "Trademark Designated OpenStack Software" would be a pretty
narrow set. With the creation of add-on trademark programs, that set
probably increased in size more than they expected.

I agree the language in our resolution is clear (and mandates that the
interop tests related to Designate or Heat are accepted in tempest). We
just need to reaffirm or reconsider that resolution based on the recent
evolution of "Trademark Designated OpenStack Software".

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)